Saturday 27 April 2019

Stamping Outside the Paper!

I know the title of my blog is Papercraft Addiction, but sometimes I need to do crafting without paper. Crazy thought, I know! However I did used ink and stamps, so it's still a hand-craft.

I watched a video online and then attended my upline's technique class to learn how to stamp on to a ceramic mug. The main things you need to know to do this technique are that you use StazOn ink and bake the mug at 180 degrees Celsius for at least 20 minutes to make the ink stick to the mug. You can then colour the image with Stampin' Blends and re-bake it to fix the ink to the mug. However I am not sure the image would stay on if you wash the mug in a dishwasher, but I don't have one so I can't test that theory.

At the class I attended I was able to get a good image after only a couple tries and then I was asked to help other students as I seemed to have mastered the technique. I was so impressed with how easy it seemed that I went out and bought 10 mugs so I could make some to sell at my monthly craft markets.

Well, I don't know what happened from when I learned the technique to the day I tried to stamp my own mugs because it seemed so simple before, but when I was doing it at my own home I kept having problems. Fortunately I could wipe off the ink before it dried and try, try, try, try again!

I think my first problem was that I attempted to put too many images on the mug in one go. The mug kept slipping and smearing the images. I then decided to only use a couple of stamps and eventually I got an image that I was happy with. I thought I had finally figured out the correct pressure, angle, and speed, but no! I continued to wipe off more ink than I kept on the mugs.

I would say this technique is best for patient people or stubborn ones like me, as I was determined to get all 10 mugs stamped! My frustrations were increasing as I couldn't understand why it had been so easy the first time I did it only the week before.

I learned a lot from my mistakes though, like the images don't go on straight because the mug is curved. That is why most of my sentiments are at quirky angles, but I think it looks like it was meant to be that way. At least that's my story and I'm sticking with it!

Finally with multiple adjustments in stamp placement . . . trying it while standing . . . trying it while sitting . . . rolling the mug from the left . . . from the right . . . and even backwards . . . I was finally able to get all 10 mugs stamped and baked.

The next step was to colour them. Although after having so much trouble stamping the images I was afraid of messing them up, but I persevered. I used the Stampin' Blends to colour each mug. I started with the easy one -- the panda holding a balloon. Then I coloured the daffodils and discovered that even though the mugs had been 'heat set' in the oven the Blends would smear the black ink if I rubbed too hard or too long in one spot.

After a bit of a learning curve, I finally got the hang of how to colour each mug without ruining the image. I even found out that the Color Lifter works like an eraser to remove the ink, even the black ink which had already been baked on. It was really handy in fixing some of the smeared images. And if I didn't like the colour/shade I used I could go over it with a different colour and the previous ink would come off.

So here are the final, coloured mugs which I hope to sell at my markets. I am a bit worried that the images will come off when the mugs are washed so I think I will add a note to them saying they should be gently hand-washed.
Since I didn't use paper maybe I should change the name of my blog to Stamping Addiction or Try Try Again Crafting or Trying Crafter or just Stubborn Crafter Who Won't Give Up! What do you think?

#ComputerAndCraftDesigns #StampinUp #creativetherapy #PaperCraftIdeas #HandmadeGifts

2 comments:

  1. The image stays on after you wash the mugs? Did you use sealer? Did you bake them after coloring?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have hand washed a few of the mugs and the image stayed but I would not recommend using a dishwasher or scrubbing the image directly. I didn't use a sealer. I did bake them after colouring, so they were baked twice.

    ReplyDelete